Skip to content

Your views are important to us! Please take a moment to complete our website survey Take the survey

What to do if you have a concern about a child in Buckinghamshire

Guide for what to do if you have a concern about a child in Buckinghamshire


  • Use the Thresholds document, discuss with your safeguarding lead and use your professional judgement to identify the level of need of the child
  • If you think the need has reached level 3 or 4 and you need advice or guidance, you can consult by calling First Response 01296 383962


  • For level 1 (Universal Services) & level 2 (Additional Support) gain consent from the family to work with them to support their needs and prevent escalation of problems
  • For level 3 (Complex needs/Specialist/Children in Need) talk to the family and gain written consent to ensure they agree to the referral, information sharing, assessment and intervention.
  • For level 4 (Acute / Child protection) if there are safeguarding issues which place the child at risk of significant harm or could lead to loss of evidential material, you do not require consent. If you are unsure about whether consent is required you can call First Response who will advise you.


  • Level 1 (Universal Services) & level 2 (Additional Support): Can you support the child and their family through your own service? Or can you signpost to another service? See the Buckinghamshire Family Information Service website for a directory of services or call 01296 383293.
  • Level 3 (Complex needs/Specialist/Children in Need: Contact First Response: send a Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF) or call 01296 383962 (0800 999 7677 out of hours)
  • Level 4 (Acute / Child protection): Collect all the information you have and contact First Response immediately on 01296 383962 (0800 999 7677 out of hours), followed up with a MARF. Call Police on 999 if there is immediate risk.