Brook would like to engage enthusiastic individuals from Buckinghamshire with an interest in volunteering and becoming sexual health influencers for their community.
Community Champions will work with Brook to communicate and cascade positive Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) messages to their local communities. Champions will assist individuals in their local communities to access a range of sexual health and wellbeing services, helping them to take responsibility for their own health needs.
This is a voluntary role open to anyone aged 18+ who lives, works or studies in Buckinghamshire. Expected time commitment is up to 12 hours a month.
WHY BE A COMMUNITY CHAMPION?
- Champions take action against stigma and discrimination by supporting Brook to deliver clear sex-positive messages to target beneficiary groups.
- Champions are influencers and will be equipped with the necessary training, information and skills to engage with their community and offer support regarding sexual and reproductive health.
- Champions are a voice in their communities, promoting awareness and assisting individuals to make informed choices about their sexual health and wellbeing.
- Be provided with accredited training on a wide range of sexual health and wellbeing topics;
- Develop skills and knowledge in SRH; influencing and engaging individuals and communities;
- Receive training in community participation and engagement;
- Be provided with on-going support by expert staff;
Gain experience in delivery of sexual and reproductive health programmes;
- Meet people with similar passions and make a positive impact in your community.
All Community Champions will:
- Receive full training on various SRH topics;
- Be assisted by the Health Promotion team, receiving regular support and supervision;
- Encourage and inspire others to tackle stigma and discrimination in SRH by delivering clear sex-positive messages;
- Make links with existing groups and networks who may want to be access SRH training;
- Signpost individuals in the community to relevant local services;
- Promote Brook’s work and current campaigns making use of your personal and external followers/community to raise awareness;
- Co-deliver community engagement events alongside other community champions or the Health Promotion team;
- Provide feedback on experiences, lessons learned and case studies from the community;
- Be required to volunteer for up to 12 hours/month (or more if available) to support target beneficiary groups.
HOW TO APPLY
Before making an application, please read the full role specification which can be accessed below. You can then apply using our online expression of interest form and selecting ‘Volunteer Community Champion – Buckinghamshire’.
Please note: you will be asked to provide a few sentences explaining why you want to volunteer for Brook and what skills and qualities you can bring to the role.
If you have any questions about the role, please get in touch.
Need to speak to someone?
If you need further advice, or if this page hasn’t answered your questions then get in contact with your local bSHaW Sexual Health Clinic for a friendly chat.
Call 0300 303 2880 to book an appointment or use our service finder to locate your nearest clinic.